** Click on the HELP TOPICS to jump to a new section. Click here to return to Resources page.
PlanWorks is a collaborative piece of software that allows schools to create and manage district and campus plans. Before creating any plans, a District level login should establish the baseline settings. Campus level accounts have read-only access.
- Click Settings from the top navigation bar.
- On the Campus drop-down, select [all] or an individual campus name to view settings currently established.
- Lock plans to campus – Select Yes if you want campus plans to only be viewed by members of that campus.
Identify the roles of individuals who will be responsible for carrying out strategies outlined in the plan. Click Settings > Positions Responsible from the top navigation bar.
- Filter by [all] from the campus drop-down on the left of the page or choose an individual campus name.
- Use the Master List icon (top right) or click Add New to add positions to the list.
- Click the gear icon to return to the Settings home page.
- Click the Edit icon to modify a name or the red X to Delete. Check more than one position at a time and click the Remove Selected button to delete multiple positions or reset the list.
Identify which resources are available on the Resources and Strategies sections of your plan.
- Filter by [all] from the campus drop-down on the left of the page or choose an individual campus name. Source and Format filters are also available.
- Use the Master List icon (top right) or click Add New to add resources.
- Name the resource, assign a source (Federal, State, Local or Other), identify the format (currency, number, text) and attach it to all or specific campuses.
- Use the Campus Only checkbox for individual campuses to see other district resources.
- Check the Active checkbox at the top of the columns to view inactive resources. Click the restore icon to reactivate them.
- Click the Edit icon next to active resources to make changes or the red X to Delete. Check one or more resources and click the Remove Selected button to delete multiple resources or reset the list.
Data sources are utilized in the Comprehensive Needs Assessment (CNA) section of a plan.
- Filter by [all] from the campus drop-down on the left of the page.
- Use the Master List or click Add New. Name your data source and select [all] campuses or an individual campus name.
- Click the Edit icon next to active sources to make changes or the red X to Delete. Check one or more and click the Remove Selected button to delete multiple data sources or reset the list.
Check the Active checkbox at the top of the columns to view inactive data sources. Click the restore icon to reactivate.
- If you have already started a plan in PlanWorks, when you enter the application it will ask to continue editing the previous plan. If not, you can search for or start new plans by clicking Search/New from the top navigation bar.
- Use the filters at the top to locate existing plans by School Year, Plan Name or Progress.
- Print one or more plans by placing a checkmark next to them and selecting the Print icon or save .pdf copies of multiple plans with the Download icon.
Individual Plan Icons
- Edit – View or make changes to a plan.
- Copy – Create a copy of an existing plan.
- Delete – Delete a plan from the list. Plans can be restored after deleting. On the bottom right of the page, click the Show Deleted link to restore plans.
Create New Plans
- Select the New icon (top right).
- Enter a Name and select the Type/Location from the drop-down (this will be the title of the plan). Check Use alternate text in the plan for this location, to create a custom name for the plan, if desired.
- Identify the School Year using the drop-downs.
- Enter Date Reviewed and Date Approved (optional).
- Select Title I (N/A, Schoolwide or Targeted Assistance)
- (Optional) – Check the box to use the Effective School Framework (ESF)
- Check Lock plan if you only want specific users to access the plan. Click the add users link to identify which DMAC logins can view the plan. If not locked, District Users can access District and Campus Plans, and Campus Users can access Campus Plans.
- Click Save.
- After creating and saving a new plan, the first page you see is the Plan Overview.
- Add pages by selecting the + icon on the left.
- Select one or more pages and click the Add button. The Vision, Resources, Custom, Attachments and Forms sections can be added to your plan more than once.
- When selecting pages, click Add to My Pages for them to appear on the Overview page of your login and for them to be accessible with the Filter icon next to Pages.
- Pages added to your plan appear on the left. Drag and drop the titles to change the order.
- Click a page name from the left menu to make changes to that section. Icons appearing on the top right are specific to that page.
- Check the Complete icon when you have finished a page. The icon will appear green after it’s checked and this will indicate a completed status on the plan’s Checklist.
- To remove a page from a plan, click the Delete icon.
- Print individual pages with the Print icon.
Some pages will have additional information you can select with the Settings icon.
- Select the [rename] link on the top of the page to give the page a custom name and change how it appears on the left menu.
- Enter the information you wish to appear on the page for: Title, Motto, Image (e.g., upload your logo or mascot) and Contact Information.
- (Optional) Click Show/Review Approve dates.
- Click Save. To view how the page will appear when printed, click the Print icon on the top right.
- Check the Complete icon to mark the page complete. The icon appears green when checked. Uncheck it to change the status.
Vision and Mission
- The Vision page template allows you to enter Mission and or Vision text for your school.
- On the top of the page, select [rename] link to give the page a custom name.
- Type or paste text for the Mission and/or Vision statements in the text boxes.
- Check the option to Place on separate pages, if desired.
- Click Save and mark the page complete.
- The Sitebase page template allows you to enter members of the Sitebase Committee responsible for developing and carrying out your school’s plan.
- On the top of the page, select the [rename] link to give the page a custom name.
- Use the area on the top to Search for Staff or Teachers who have DMAC logins. Search by partial first or last names and click Find. Use the + icon next to a name to add them to the member list. Update their position/title (optional) and click Add.
- To add Members who are not an employee of the district, click the add Other Member icon; enter their First/Last Name and Position (e.g., parent) and click Add.
- The total number of Members added appear on the left of the page. Names already added to the list appear gray when searching for staff.
- Click the dots next to a name to drag and drop or rearrange the order of names.
- Use the X icon next to a name to remove them from the list.
- The Resources page template allows you to document Federal, State, Local and Other resources that will be used in the implementation of your school’s plan. These can be entered as currency with associated budget codes or dollar amounts (e.g., Grants) or as numbers and text (e.g., computers, robotic kits, etc.).
- You have the ability to add one or more Resource page templates to a plan.
- On the top of the page, select the [rename] link to give the page a custom name.
- The Settings icon (top right) establishes the print settings for your resources. Add a Title, select how you would like the tables to print and choose to Show Amounts, Budget Codes and/or Charts.
- Click the Add Resources button to add Federal (F), State (S), Local (L) or Other (O) resources. Information appearing on the list is managed in the Settings > Resources section of PlanWorks. Anyone with a District level login in DMAC can make adjustments to the Resources available.
- From the Add Resources window, select one or more at a time and click Save. The symbols will denote which resources are a currency ($), a number (#) or plain text (Aa).
- Use the icons next to a resource to Edit the Amount and/or Budget Code or Remove it from the list.
- The software automatically reconciles currency and number totals available for your strategies (only if you enter the designated amounts in this section). From the plan’s Checklist, view unbalanced or unused resources.
- View resources by All, Currency, Number and Text by clicking on the links at the top of the columns.
- Click the Print icon to preview how the section appears on paper.
Comprehensive Needs Analysis
The Comprehensive Needs Assessment page template allows you to organize the different sections needed to document a CNA.
On the top of the page, select the [rename] link to give the page a custom name.
The CNA is divided into three sections for the main Areas, Meetings and Other Data Sources.
- Use the Edit icon next to each area to enter data for the Strengths (S), Weaknesses (W), Needs (N) and Summary (S).
- Use the green + icon to add text to the sections; attach Data Sources (managed in Settings); and, upload supporting documentation (.pdf files).
- Each area (Demographics, Student Achievement, School Culture, etc.) can be marked complete within the individual page. Once text is entered for a section, the SWNS markers on the home screen appear green.
- Click the Back icon to return to the CNA home screen..
- Click green + icon by Meetings.
- Enter Date, Time, Location, Meeting Type, Facilitator and/or Summary/Notes; Click Add Attendees.
- Use the area on the top to Search for Staff or Teachers who have DMAC logins. Search by partial first or last names and click Find. Use the + icon next to a name to add them to the member list. Update their position/title (optional), verify email address and click Add.
- Names already added to the list appear gray when searching for staff.
- To add Members who are not an employee of the district, click the add Other Attendee icon (top right); enter their First/Last Name and Position (e.g., parent), email address and click Add.
- Use the X icon next to a name to remove them from the meeting.
- Click the Back icon to go to the meeting detail page.
- Details: Use the edit link to make changes to the dat, location, meeting type, facilitator or notes section.
- Sign-In: Click Upload Sign-in button to upload sign-in sheets (as a .pdf) or use the Blank/With Attendees buttons to print sign-in sheets.
- Attendees: Select the edit attendees link to modify the list.
- Minutes/Agenda Items: Click add new link to enter Agenda Item(s), Presenter, Discussion, Conclusions and Action Items.
- On the top right, you can Delete individual meetings or Print documentation; click the Back icon to return to the CNA home screen.
- Future Meetings can be copied using the icon to the right of a Meeting name.
- Click the edit icon next to Other Data Sources to identify sources outside of the specific areas; click Save.
- Data sources are populated from the Settings menu on the top navigation bar in PlanWorks. Only district level logins can add or remove data sources.
- The Goals page template organizes the Goals, Objectives and Strategies for your plan.
- On the top of the page, select the [rename] link to give the page a custom name.
- The Settings icon (top right) customizes how the Outline, Strategy and Expenditures appear when printed..
- To add or edit a Goal, click on the blue Edit/View Goals button. As you add Goals, they appear on the left menu. Click All Goals to return to the main list and exit out of an objective or Strategies.
- Select the green New Goal button to add a new goal. Enter a short title and description. Select whether you want it to be a shared goal (this action adds the goal to the District Goals list that others can select); click Save.
- Use the icons next to each goal to edit or delete. If shared, the goal will have an icon indicating it is visible to other plans. A blue square with a number indicates there are other plans with matching goals (click the box to view).
- On the top right, click the Add District Goals button to import shared goals. Select the plan name from the drop down list and then select one or more goals from the list.
- Goals are listed in numerical order. Hold your mouse down over a goal to drag and drop it to a new location. This will change the number and move all of the associated objectives and strategies with it.
- Select the Plan icon on the top left to return to the Goals summary page.
- The summary page lists how many goals, objectives and strategies have been entered along with the Progress Activity and associated resources.
- View progress associated with your strategies by Formative, Summative or All. Check the box for My Strategies Only to view progress assigned to your login.
- Use the history link from the Progress Activity section to see an audit trail documenting the progress of each goal. Click Back to return to the summary page.
- Select the Goal page template from the left hand menu; click Edit/View Goals
- Objectives can be added to any Goal.
- Create or select a goal; Click the number/name under All Goals (left menu) or click the square that says Objective next to the title and description of your goal.
- Use the New Objective button to add a title (optional) and a description; click Save.
- Drag and drop Objectives on the page to change the order.
- Use the Edit and Delete icons next to each Objective to make changes.
- Click the + Strategy square to add a Strategy to an Objective.
- Strategies are entered under Objectives (within Goals). They contain specific actions tied to individuals and/or resources.
- Click the Goals page template from the left hand menu and select an Objective name. Click New Strategy.
- The Activity/Strategy text box is required.
- Enter relevant information in the other areas for the: Timeline, Target Group, Position Responsible, Resources, Title I SW/TA Elements, CNA Area, Priorities, Effective Schools Framework and Evaluation Criteria.
- Check the blue box to Add to My Strategies if you want to filter for only your assigned strategies from the Strategy list and Goal Summary pages.
- Use the + icon to attach a Resource to a Strategy. Check option to only view resources assigned to this plan within the Resource page template; click one or more and Select.
- Resources appearing on the list are managed in Settings (top navigation bar).
- Enter the dollar amount or number used in the text box. Currencies and numbers are automatically reconciled against the starting amount listed on the Resources page template of your plan.
- Use the + Progress button (top right) of a Strategy to enter a Date, Status, Formative or Summative evaluation and Next Steps.
- The Progress Activity is color coded on the Strategy list for each objective and viewable on the Goals Summary Page
- Click an Objective name from your Goals menu to view a summary of each Strategy. Filter by Status using the drop-down or click My Strategies Only.
- To add Strategies to your ‘My Strategies’ list, click on the star icon to the left of the Strategies name.
- Strategies are color coded by status (Pending, No or Some Progress, Significant Progress, On Track, Completed or Discontinued. Click the colored box to see the Status History and use the edit/delete icons to change previous progress updates.
- Each summary includes boxes for the number of people responsible, the dollar or number amount added to a resource and the Title I Components (if selected). On the settings of your plan, selecting SW (School wide) or TA (Target Assistance) populate different options when adding new strategies.
- Use the individual icons next to a strategy to add a Progress Update, Edit or Delete.
- The Checklist is a dynamic feature in PlanWorks that allows you to view missing sections or pages.
- For the feature to work, you must mark page templates Complete using the icon on the top right of each section.
- Click the Checklist (left menu) from your plan.
- The top of the page lists any sections with warnings. The Checklist is divided into General, Goals, Components Not Used in Strategies and Resources.
- Expand the sections when Strategies are listed. Clicking on a strategy from the Checklist opens a new tab directly to that area.
- Select the magnifying glass icon to view unbalanced resources.
- Filter resources by All, Currency or Number. The table displays the initial Total entered for the resources (managed in Settings), the Designated amount indicated in a Strategy and the remaining Balance.
Each plan has an Overview page. This is a dashboard that allows you to see your plan and strategy progress and any pages or strategies that are assigned to you.
- Files – On the top right, click the Files icon to upload any PDF attachments that you would like to associate with your plan. Attach files to specific page templates at a later time. Use the edit and delete icons to make changes or remove individual files from the list.
- Forms – Click the Forms icon on the top right to complete custom online forms that were created with DMAC’s FormWorks application. Attach forms to specific page templates at a later time. Use the edit and delete icons to make changes or remove completed forms from the list.
- Progress – The Plan Progress section of the overview page details the Plan Year, the Type (district or campus), Review and Approve Dates (if available), how many Users are attached to the plan, and the number of goals, objectives and strategies.
- My Pages – Click the Edit icon on the My Pages section of the Overview to assign pages from the plan to your login. To remove pages, click the Edit icon and deselect the page title. Pages appearing on the list appear red with a warning icon if they have not yet been marked complete.
- My Strategies – The My Strategies section lists any assigned strategies to your account in order of the goal, objective and strategy. The color-coded boxes indicate the current status or progress of the strategy. Click the strategy to open in another tab.
- Notes – Click + icon on the Notes section to enter text based notes relevant to your plan. This area is useful when collaborating with others or organizing information.
- Print – Click the Print icon (top left) to print or save the plan as a PDF.
- Settings – Use the Settings icon (top left) to change the Plan Name, Location, School Year, Date Reviewed/Approved, add Title I components or add Effective Schools Framework to strategies and Lock or unlock plans and add approved users.
Additional Page Templates
Customize plans by adding as many pages as needed using the + icon (left menu next to Pages). Don’t forget that you can drag and drop pages from the left menu to change the order they appear on a plan.
- Custom – Add custom text-based pages. Use the formatting icons to change the size and color of text or make lists.
- Attachments – Insert PDF files. Select from previously uploaded files or upload new ones. Use the Delete icon to remove a file from the page. Click the View/Edit All Files link to manage content.
- Forms – Insert and complete custom online forms created in FormWorks. Select from previously uploaded forms or upload new ones. Use the Edit/Delete icons to make changes to forms or remove them. Click the View/Edit All Forms link to manage content.